Background

Friday, December 28, 2012

Boa Valentine's Day Wreath

Well Christmas is over and I am feeling that sad lull that only comes from not having a holiday to look forward to for awhile. Plus, winter holiday crafts are just the most fun to make. Then I thought...why should I wait to start crafting for my second favorite holiday: Valentine's day! It's only two months away!! (:

Pinterest often has 'boa wreaths' and most of the time I do not care for them, mainly because most of them are just wrapped around boa and nothing else. I was a bit apprehensive about trying one myself, knowing that the fluffiness of the wreath would make it hard to attach any embellishments (glueing to  boa fabric is not going to happen, by the way...I have tried many times). Then I though why not use straight pins to add embellishments like I do for all my other wreaths. So, here is my first wreath for the Valentine's day season...


Michael's had a sale on craft Boas. If you go to their holiday Valentine's day sections they have them there. Each strand was about eight feet long and the wreath is 14 inches. It took me eight of the boas to fill in the wreath. As far as the embellishments are concerned I decided to use my cricut to make small periwinkle flowers, using straight pints in the middle so it looks like pollen. I also couldn't make a Valentine's day wreath without a heart. I straight pinned the heart into my wreath and then covered up those pins with a periwinkle flower. If you don't have a cricut you can just use a Martha Stewart flower stamp. The stamp is about ten dollars.


I tied a ribbon behing the wreath with straight pins and then added a decorate bow to the top of the hanger to help hide the nail I put in the wall.
This is a great project to do with your kids, especially for the first part of this craft. Wrapping the boa around the foam wreath is easy and convenient for you to fix if there are a few mess-ups along the way.

Here is what you will need:
14 inch foam ring
8 packages of boas (about 8 feet long each strand)
Pink, White, Red craft paper (or any color that will match the color of your boa, this is for the flowers and the cutout heart)
Straight pins that will look like pollen
Ribbon
A cricut (for flower embellishments) or flower stamp

No comments:

Post a Comment